Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ

Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ at Queen Street West Location in 1856

History

History of Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ

Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ was founded in 1851 by John Strachan, the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto. The doors of the original Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ building on Queen Street West opened on January 15, 1852. The first woman student was admitted in 1884, and four years later Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ established St. Hilda’s College for women, putting Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ at the forefront of the movement for higher education for women.

Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ played an important role in the intellectual, social, and religious life of the region as an independent university until 1904, conferring degrees in seven faculties – Arts, Divinity, Medicine, Law, Music, Dentistry, and Pharmacy. In 1904, Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ federated with the University of Toronto and became part of what is now known as the Faculty of Arts & Science. Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ ceased to give instruction in faculties other than Arts and Divinity. Under the terms of the federation agreement, degrees in Arts are conferred by the University of Toronto. After 1904, the College has continued to exercise the rights of an independent university with respect to its Faculty of Divinity. Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ provides for the instruction of its theological students, and confers its own degrees in theology.

Though part of the University of Toronto, Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ has retained its distinctive character and independent features, including its charter, governing bodies, administration, budget and endowment. Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ moved to the St. George campus in 1925, occupying a choice location (6 Hoskin Avenue) close to the other colleges, libraries and teaching departments of the university.

Land Acknowledgement:

We acknowledge that the land on which Ä¢¹½¶ÌÊÓÆµ and the University of Toronto operate is part of the traditional territories of the Wendat Nation, the Haudenosaunee Confederacy, and the Mississaugas of the Credit, an Anishnaabe people, land covered by the Dish-with-One-Spoon wampum belt covenant. We acknowledge the stewardship of this land by First Nations, the continuing presence here of Indigenous people from across Turtle Island, and the harm caused by colonialism. We commit ourselves to seeking a new and honourable relationship with the First Peoples of this land.


 

Related Links: